Sunday, November 7, 2010

The same thoughts....again

My life is so comfortable and blessed. I feel very lucky, and I never want to forget what He has done for me. I have had many reasons to praise Him lately, and I worry I don't praise enough. I praise in my heart, in my joy, in my desire to want to follow His word. But I want to praise by carrying forth my blessing, by being a blessing to others.

Psalm 9 says, "I will praise thee, O Lord, with all my heart; I will show forth all thy marvelous works, I will be glad and rejoice in thee; I will sing praise to thy name, o thou most high."

So in adulation and thankfulness, I echo David, "The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; the God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised." (2 Samuel 22:2-4).
That is very true.

I read a Bible study on praise and it urged that praise isn't just about yelling in triumph or bowing in reverence. It is also about undeniable trust in the Lord, about showing Christ-like characteristic in your own life, about being joyous and attempting to spread that joy, and about helping His people. I know I say it all the time, but I want to do more in His name. There was this story on the Christian radio station about a man who was being mugged. The man handed over his wallet and then asked his mugger to go to dinner with him. The young boy agreed. At dinner, the boy saw the joy in the man and the happiness he showed at his favorite diner around the people who loved him. Not only did the boy return the wallet, but he gave the man his knife as well, in the promise to not mug again. Okay okay, what a hallmark movie special, huh? But still, I have to let go of the modern-day tendency to want to be cool and tough and superhero kick the mugger's ass, and actually think - hey this mugger was a two year old who loved cartoons at one point in his life. And believe it or not - he is made in God's image.


I seem to bring up the same points in these blogs on DVT. I always talk about praise, helping others, and the "wolves" of our world. I know other people that seem to always bring up the same message when they talk about the Bible. Maybe it is because God equips us all with one solid message, one that we are equipped to show and teach more than any other. Look at your life, look at your experiences, what is your one major message?

No comments:

Post a Comment