Sunday, February 20, 2011

Grumbling

The Israelites, following Moses, traveling in the desert, were attacked by the Canaanites, who took several Israelites hostage. Numbers 21:2-3 recounts, "Then Israel made this vow to the LORD: “If you will deliver these people into our hands, we will totally destroy their cities.” 3 The LORD listened to Israel’s plea and gave the Canaanites over to them. They completely destroyed them and their towns; so the place was named Hormah." Right after the Lord answered the Isrealites' prayer so faithfully, God's chosen people started to complain about the miserable food in the desert. They questioned their God, asking him why he had taken them out of slavery in the first place to just suffer in the desert. God sent poisonious snakes into their camps. Moses prayed for them and through another miracle, God took the punishment away.

This story amazes me at first because the it was like the Isrealites completely forgot all the things their Lord had done for them so far. It was as if they completely forgot about his promise of milk and honey. But then, looking at my own life, I realize its not amazing, its instead pretty close to home.

I started attending a bible study at church on the topic of prosperity. I was most influenced, I believe, by the study leader's challenges at the end of the lesson. She challenged us to not grumble about prices going up or high bills, instead offer praise to the Lord that you can afford to pay those bills. It reminds me of Isreal in the desert. Complaining about my debt or the high price of curtains is like the Isrealites complaining about the food in the desert. I mean they had food...in the desert! I have the means to buy pillows and curtains, skirts and shoes, steaks and ice cream. That is praiseworthy.

Too often I fall into the trap of grumbling. Just the other day, I grumbled that there were dishes in the sink and I had a 2 foot high stack of papers to grade. Now, I see that I need to be grateful that I have those plates, the food that was on them, the water to wash them, and the job that gives me the income to live so comfortably.

All in all, I want to take on this challenge, not just in my finances, but in all life. I hope to turn every grumble into a praise for all the blessings God has given me.

Philippians 2:14-16 -  "Do all things without grumbling or questioning, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain."

No comments:

Post a Comment