Sunday, September 19, 2010

About these wolves

Ever since I watched those two movies and wrote that last post, I have been thinking about evil in the world. I was listening to the Christian radio station and a woman came on from an organization called Proverbs 31 Ministries. Proverbs 31:8 says, "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." The woman said, "Hurt people hurt people."

That's what she said: "Hurt people hurt people."

Kyle likes to watch this show called "Dexter." I think it is horrible show because the main character is a serial killer and he is the protagonist, which goes against the accepted form of fiction. I asked Kyle though what made him kill. Kyle explained that Dexter underwent a horrible trauma when he was a boy - he watched his mother be brutally murdered in front of him.

It is weird to write about this on my Bible blog, but this is an accepted truth in our world. That sometimes people who have been hurt can go on to hurt others. In my last post, I talked of "monsters." But what if somewhere along the line these "monsters" weren't monsters. What if they still aren't monsters? They are God made. They are still human. Being hurt in the past doesn't forgive their actions now. But God can forgive.

So the question I have been pondering is where does evil start? Why are some so easily influenced by evil? The devil tried to tempt Jesus. The devil failed.

But, Judas. With Judas, the bible says the devil suceeded.
Luke 22:3 explains: "Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve. And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus. They were delighted and agreed to give him money. He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them when no crowd was present."

Proverbs 6 explains that God hates evil.
Proverbs 6:16-19
 "There are six things the LORD hates,
       seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes,
       a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes,
       feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies
       and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers."


To better understand evil. I researched it some more.
God created evil. God also can destroy. The book of Isaiah explains this.
Isaiah 54:16-17 (New International Version)
      "See, it is I who created the blacksmith
       who fans the coals into flame
       and forges a weapon fit for its work.
       And it is I who have created the destroyer to work havoc; no weapon forged against you will prevail,
       and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
       This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,
       and this is their vindication from me,"
       declares the LORD."

Then, Jesus gave the parable of weeds. This parable gives a kind of answer to why evil exists and how it exists.
Matthew 13:24-30 
"Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.
"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'
" 'An enemy did this,' he replied.
      "The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'
 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "

This gives me some answers on evil. But, I am too easily affected. I read books about tragedy (Little Bee). I have to teach books about tragedy (Night). I watch movies about tragedy. I watch TV shows about tragedy. And I am blessed with a life of ease. I am so blessed, so very very blessed, yet so aware of the evil in this world. It is hard to know what to do with the knowledge that there evil is out there. It is hard to know how to help this world. I guess it goes back to Proverbs 31:8.

I hate that I fear that evil.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of when I was younger, if I was scared I would say... when I am afraid I will trust in thee psalms 56:3...

    Then one day someone asked me "why? would that stop something bad from happening?"

    It might not. It might be in God's will that some tragedy happens to me. I told them I guess in a way its my way of saying give me strength to face my fears...

    But I was a little shaken with the realization that faith didn't necessarily mean I was protected from bad things from happening.

    Its a hard topic, its a scary world, but I think a children's song says it best... this little light of mine.... :)

    I like the scriptures... keep bringing them on!

    ReplyDelete