Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Worship - a forgotten word

Worship.

I say I am a christian. I say I love God. I say I read my Bible. But rarely do I choose the words, "I worship the one true God." It is a strong statement and I think my timidness keeps me from it. I worry that timidness also keeps far from God.

I read a online Bible lesson on worship and it never truly defined what it looks like to worship. I know some see it as singing, as praising our Lord publicly, as dancing in the isles, raising hands, and shouting from our seats with joy. But I am too timid to stand out in this way. The Bible says in John 4:23-24, "But the hour is coming, and now is, when true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is a spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."

Furthermore, in 1 John 3:24:  Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

 Here is what I have deduced: If to worship God means to worship in truth and spirit and his spirit is in us to help us live by his commands and in him, is it then worship to be obedient and live in him? Does one need to raise one's hands? Does one need to dance in the isles? I wonder if I question this out of sincere curiosity, out of the genuine fear of the Lord, or because I just don't want to dance in the isle. I have felt it on my heart to be more vocal about the Lord. To pronounce him. To not shy away from bringing up my faith in everyday conversations or to not shy away from urging others to take their salvation into consideration.

I want to worship in truth and spirit. I don't think it is the key to obtain eternal life, but I do believe that it is a witnessing of your love for God. I just need to find my fire.



Jimmy Needham seems to know me in this song. But my heart wants to speak 'round here. I hope to serve. I hope to love with deeds, hands, and with what I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment