Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sidewalk Prophets - "You Can Have Me"


This song poses a pretty big statement, telling God - "you can have me"...all of me. The song asks a question, the singer pretty much asks himself, if Jesus were to appear and tell you to leave all things and follow him, could you do it?

We want to say, "well, of course," right?

Ha. I know I do.

I want to think that if God walked in I would be that annoying kid in the back of the room, bopping up and down in my seat, waving my hand frantically in the air, and yelling "pick me pick me pick me!!!!"

Although giving up "everything," I admit, sounds scary. I am sure in the presence of God "everything" wouldn't seem all that significant. But, it does make me wonder, what has God asked me to do in the past and I was like "nope...can't do it...its too hard...too far out of my comfort zone." Talk about an annoying child. Thank God, literally, that he loves me anyway.

I remember talking about Abraham once and someone said that God doesn't test people today anymore the way he tested Abraham. Even though I said this was wrong at the time, I wonder if God doesn't test anyone in that way anymore because he is sure they would just say no. On the other hand, what I said at the time, is that we are all still tested by this world ....sometimes in major ways. Even if we aren't asked to climb a mountain with our son and a knife.

Well, I just got way off track. But I went to the Bible and looked up the story of Abraham and Isaac anyway.

9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.

12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son." 

Phew, now that is some crazy pure faith. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment